Dense, rich almond cake.
Flourless Italian Almond Cake
- 2 1/2 cups whole blanched almonds or 13 oz almond meal
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 7 eggs separated
- Pinch salt
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Icing sugar for dusting
- If using whole almonds, grind into a fine powder in a food processor. Add sugar and process to blend.
- In a bowl, beat 3 whole eggs and 4 egg yolks, reserving whites, until smooth. Slowly add the almond mixture, and beat until fluffy. Add salt, lemon rind and vanilla. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff then fold into the almond mixture.
- Pour batter into a greased/lined 9" springform pan, and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, or until done.
- Cool. Remove sides of pan and dust with icing sugar.