Crispy and crunchy with a lemony bite. If you don’t like the taste of raw onions, then pickling them is the way to go! It mellows the their sharp taste, making them very easy on the palate. Perfect to add to salads or sandwiches.
|Lemon-Pickled Onions & Carrots|| |
- 1 red onion, shaved or very thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, julienne
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup lemon juice
- ¾ cup mirin or cooking sherry
- ½ cup unseasoned rice vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- Prepare vegetables, place in a glass or ceramic bowl and toss with salt. Let sit 10 minutes, rinse well then drain.
- Combine remaining ingredients, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour into bowl with carrots and onions and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (up to 3 days).
- To serve, drain away liquid.
Makes about 1 cup