The sweetness of the beets and berries balance the tartness of the cheese and lemon vinaigrette perfectly.
|Blackberry, Goat Cheese & Roasted Beet Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette|| |
- 1 lb beets, rinsed and trimmed (or can use pickled if you like)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 9 cups mixed greens or spinach
- ⅓ cup pecans or walnuts, toasted
- Goat cheese, amount to taste
- ½ cup fresh blackberries, rinsed and dried
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Zest from 1 lemon
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ tsp dried tarragon
- 1-2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp GF Dijon or regular mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Cut beets in half, place in a shallow baking dish and drizzle with olive oil tossing until coated. Cover with foil and bake at 425°F for 40 minutes or until tender. Once cool, peel and slice into ¼-inch thick slices. Set aside (may want to wear some rubber gloves to avoid staining your hands red!).
- To toast nuts, place in a small dry fry pan and heat over medium heat, shaking pan occassionally, until nuts just start to turn brown and become fragrant (or you can put them in the oven while cooking beets, just check on them every 5 minutes).
- To serve the salad, add greens to 4 salad plates, top with sliced beets, crumbled goat cheese, and some nuts.
- For vinaigrette, combine all ingredients together in a screw-top jar and shake well. Then drizzle some over each salad and toss well.