This Asian-inspired coleslaw is bursting with flavor and healthy ingredients.
When eating kale raw, it really helps its texture if you soften the leaves first. You can either blanch the leaves in boiling water for 20 seconds then remove and place immediately in an ice bath to bring temperature down, and pat dry before using. Or once you’ve chopped the kale, run a rolling pin over it several times to break up its tough cell walls.
Combine the dressing ingredients together and blend until smooth. The color in purple cabbage is drawn out the longer it sits with the dressing, so toss everything together just before serving.
- 1 small head cabbage white, purple or savoy, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch kale thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot grated
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 4 Tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp GF rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp GF soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp Sriracha
- For dressing, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Thin with a bit of water if needed.
- Combine all salad ingredients, then toss with the dressing.