These scones use mashed bananas in place of eggs, and the candied ginger gives it a wonderful flavor.
Slice the dough into 4 or 8 wedges, brush with a bit of cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired. The cream helps the sugar crystals adhere, but it also gives the surface a lovely golden crust.
Banana Scones with Crystallized Ginger
- 2 cups GFC Baking Flour Blend
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 ½ Tbsp butter or margarine cold & cubed
- ½ cup mashed banana
- 1 Tbsp crystallized ginger minced
- ¾ cup heavy cream almond milk or canned premium coconut milk +1 Tbsp for brushing
- 1 Tbsp coarse sugar optional
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- Pinch salt
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter until pea-size lumps remain.
- Add the banana and ginger, then stir in the cream and mix until just incorporated.
- With floured hands, shape the dough into a disc about 7” wide and 1” thick. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and cut into 6-8 wedges with a knife - you can leave the wedges together, or pull apart slightly.
- If you don't want to glaze them after they are baked, you can brush each with a bit of cream and lightly sprinkle with coarse sanding sugar.
- Bake at 375°F for about 25 minutes until fully cooked through (internal temperatures is above 202°F).
- For the glaze, mix all ingredients together until smooth. Drizzle over warm scones.