Light and airy, low on calories.
Angel Food Cake
- 12 large egg whites room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix together the flours, xanthan gum and icing sugar.
- In another large bowl, add the salt, water, cream of tartar, and egg whites and beat at high speed with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add in the sugar while beating, and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Add in the almond extract.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture, while continuing to beat.
- Pour batter into an ungreased tube pan. Use a spoon or knife to evenly distribute the batter and make sure it touches the pan on all sides. Then bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately, turn the pan upside down and allow to cool.