Whipped eggs is what give this cake its structure. Topped with a rich chocolate glaze, its destined to become your favorite cake recipe!
Flourless Chocolate Rum Cake with Chocolate Glaze
- 12 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chopped
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine cut into pieces
- 6 eggs separated
- 12 Tbsp sugar divided
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp rum
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 9 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate finely chopped
- Stir chocolate and butter in saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm, stirring often.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar in large bowl until mixture is very thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Fold lukewarm chocolate mixture into yolk mixture, then fold in vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until medium-firm peaks form. Fold whites into chocolate mixture in 3 additions.
- Pour batter into a greased springform pan and bake at 350°F for about 50 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and run a knife along the edge of the pan. Allow cake to cool completely in pan.
- For Glaze: Bring cream and corn syrup to simmer in a saucepan. Remove from heat, then add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Remove cake from pan and place on a rack set over a baking sheet. Spread 1/2 cup glaze smoothly over top and sides of cake. Freeze until almost set, about 3 minutes. Then pour remaining glaze over cake; smooth sides and top, and chill until glaze is firm, about 1 hour.