You would never guess that this smooth and creamy pasta sauce is dairy free. The secret comes from using dried chickpeas. It may take a bit longer (24hr prep time), but its well worth the effort.
Process the ingredients together in a mini food processor until smooth, adding in as much of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes until the mixture is creamy (but still thick).
The sun-dried tomatoes and their oil turn this pesto a beautiful orange color.
Add pesto in with pasta, along with enough of the reserved pasta water until the sauce is the consistency you want. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish with parsley.
|Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato & Chickpea Pesto|| |
- ½ cup dried chickpeas
- ½ cup unsalted cashews (roasted)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 oz oil packed sun-dried tomatoes (reserve the oil)
- 2 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz GF pasta
- To prepare dried chickpeas: combine chickpeas with 2 cups of water and place in a bowl. Allow to soak overnight at room temperature. Drain, rinse well, then transfer to pot with 3 cups of water and bring to boil for 5 minutes. Reduce to a simmer, then cook for an additional 45 minutes. Drain.
- Cook pasta until al dente, reserving 1 cup of pasta water. Drain, rinse, and place back in pot.
- In a food processor, combine cooked chickpeas and remaining ingredients, except parsley, and process until smooth. Add in as much of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes until the mixture is smooth and creamy (but still thick).
- Add pesto in with pasta, along with enough reserved pasta water until the sauce is the consistency you want. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish with parsley.