The ingredients used in this salad aren’t anything special – but when you prepare and present them in a unique way, it actually changes the way it tastes. Besides tasting different, the texture of the lightly charred lettuce adds a whole another level of flavor to this salad.
Slice the lettuce in half, keeping the core intact on both pieces. Drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut side down onto a hot grill for about 2 minutes – just enough to warm it slightly and grill marks are formed. Place on a plate then pile on the rest of the ingredients. For a tasty dressing that won’t overpower all these wonderful flavors, try our Avocado Cream dressing.
Charred BLT Wedge Salad
- 3 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 oz GF pancetta or prosciutto chopped
- 1 cup GF bread cubes
- 1 cup grape tomatoes whole or halved
- Salt and pepper
- 2 romaine hearts halved lengthwise (trim core, but keep intact)
- 2 oz GF blue goat, or parmesan cheese, optional
- Add 1 Tbsp of oil to skillet and fry pancetta until lightly crisp. Set aside to drain on paper towel.
- Fry bread cubes in pan until golden on all sides, add a bit more oil if desired (or use grease left over rom frying the pancetta. Fry or grill tomatoes until lightly charred and skins split.
- Drizzle remaining oil on cutting board and dip the cut ends of the lettuce into it. Season with some salt and pepper and place cut-side down, on a hot grill until well marked, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, place each lettuce half on a plate and top with pancetta, croutons, tomatoes and cheese.
- If desired, drizzle with a bit of Avocado Cream Dressing.