This is one of my favorite ways to serve parsnips. If your serving them for children then you might want to consider leaving out the horseradish unless they like it spicy!
Spicy Roasted Parsnips
- 1 1/2 pounds of parsnips peeled and cut into 2 1/2 inch strips
- 4 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup GF chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine softened
- 4 tsp horseradish
- 1/2 Tbsp flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh chives minced
- 1/2 garlic clove minced
- In a large roasting pan, toss the parsnips with the olive oil, salt and pepper. (Use a roasting pan with sides no more than 2 inches high.)
- Add the broth, cover with aluminum foil and roast at 400°F, stirring once or twice, until the parsnips are tender and the stock has evaporated or been absorbed, about 20-45 minutes.
- Combine the softened butter with the horseradish, parsley, chives, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Then toss the warm roasted parsnips with the horseradish-herb butter and serve.