This spicy-sweet relish is perfect on hamburgers, sandwiches or even as an appy (spread some gluten free crackers with cream cheese, then top with the relish). Leave it a bit chunky or puree it smoother if you like!
Use canned roasted red peppers, or prepare your own: grill or broil fresh peppers until skin blisters and chars on all sides. Place in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. This loosens the skins so they will easily peel. After 1o minutes, peel peppers and discard skin, membrane, seeds and core.
Combine chopped ingredients into a small saucepan and simmer until most of the liquid been evaporated.
Once the mixture has reduced, serve as is or process with an immersion blender or food processor if you want a smoother more jam-like consistency. Allow to cool, then keep chilled in a covered container until needed.
Savory Red Pepper Relish
- 6 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion or shallots finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 fresh red chili seeded and minced (jalapeno or serrano)
- 1 ½ cups roasted red pepper finely chopped (about 2-3 peppers)
- 1 ½ tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar and sugar. Set aside
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil and sauté the shallot and chili until tender. Add the roasted red pepper and the vinegar mixture and simmer until most of the liquid been evaporated. Add the thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If wanting a smoother jam-like consistency, use an immersion blender or food processor, and pulse the mixture until you get the consistency you desire.
- Allow to cool, then keep chilled in a covered container until needed.