Perfect for a light lunch, or as an appetizer for a crowd. Add any other veggies or seafood you like, such as sautéed zucchini or shrimp.
Thinly slice the leeks (or any other veggies you are using), a mandolin is perfect for this, but you can easily do it by hand. Season the asparagus with some oil, salt and pepper and a bit of balsamic vinegar if you like. Then pre-roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
On a floured surface (I like to use tapioca starch), roll dough out to about 10″x12″.
You can cut the edges of the pastry smooth, or leave rough. Combine the cooked leeks and cheese mixture, remove the asparagus from the oven.
Chop or leave the asparagus whole, then arrange as you like, leaving about 1″ free at the edges.
Fold the pastry edges up to create an rim so the cheese mixture doesn’t ooze out.
|Rustic Leek & Asparagus Tart|| |
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 6 leeks, white parts and 1 inch of pale green parts, thinly sliced
- ¾ tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup GF chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup GF sour cream
- 3 oz Parmesan cheese, grated or soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 tsp GF balsamic vinegar, optional
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- ½ lb mixed mushrooms, coarsely chopped, optional
- 1 sheet GF Puff Pastry or Pie Crust
- Sauté leeks with 2 Tbsp oil over medium heat until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add thyme, stock, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover, and simmer until leeks are tender and almost all of the liquid is evaporated, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly then transfer mixture to a bowl, and stir in sour cream, cheese, and parsley.
- While leeks are cooking, broil asparagus: place in a baking dish, drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss with balsamic vinegar. Broil for 8 minutes. Set aside.
- In another pan, sauté mushrooms with butter and a bit of salt and pepper. Fry mushrooms until soft and moisture is released. Set aside.
- Roll out puff pastry or pie crust ¼” thick and into a 10x12” rectangle, then place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Spread leek mixture to within 1 inch of edge, top with asparagus spears, and roll crust up a bit to form an edge. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes. Add mushrooms then return to oven for another 5-15 minutes or until crust is golden and fully cooked (depending how thick you made the crust).
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes, then use a pizza wheel to cut into 6-8 pieces.