Sweet creamy orange filling and fresh Mandarin oranges, are layered between crispy puff pastry layers.
Roll out puff pastry about 1/4″ thick, and into as big of rectangles as you like (to make one serving).
If desired, brush tops with an egg wash to create a golden brown pastry.
Whip together the pudding mix and milk until thick, then stir in the orange zest.
Gently fold the orange mixture in with the whipped cream, until combined.
Over top of one cooked (cooled) pastry, spoon some orange cream, and fresh Mandarin oranges (make sure they are patted dry with a paper towel to remove all their surface moisture).
Orange Cream Napoleons
- GF Puff Pastry
- 1 egg beaten, optional
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp coarse sugar
- 1 pkg about 3 1/2 oz GF vanilla instant pudding
- 1 cup milk or milk alternative
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 1/2 cups whipped cream
- 1 can 11 oz Mandarin orange segment, drained and laid on paper towel to dry
- Icing sugar for dusting
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk together the egg and water (omit for egg-free). Set aside.
- On a floured surface (I use tapioca flour), roll pastry out to 12”x8” by ¼” thick. Cut into 12, 2”x4” pieces, or into whatever size you’d like.
- Place the pastries onto baking sheets, brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with a bit of sugar. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare cream filling, mix pudding with milk and beat at low speed for 2 minutes, or until thick. Stir in the orange zest, then fold in the whipped cream.
- Assemble pastries by spreading (or piping) the 1-2 Tbsp of orange cream onto 1 pastry, cover with orange segments, then top with another pastry. Dust with icing sugar.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 4 hours before serving.