This salad is simple to thrown together, yet is packed with vibrant and bold flavors. If you don't have preserved lemons you can always use some lemon zest, although if you haven't yet tried to make Preserved Lemons you really should - they are amazing!!
Scrape out the pulp and discard (or try using in a Caesar salad dressing), lightly rinse the rinds and chop into small pieces. Plan about a 1/4 wedge for each person. If you can't find peppadews in your deli section at the grocery store, roasted red peppers will do. There are really no right or wrong amounts for this salad, just toss everything together and add more or less of each ingredient if you like. Omit the cheese for a dairy free version.
|Preserved Lemon & Tomato-Kale Salad|
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 2-4 preserved lemon quarters (rind only), rinsed & finely chopped
- ¼ lb feta, crumbled (optional)
- 1 cup grape/cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup Kalamata olives, halved & pitted (or leave whole)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2-4 pickled peppadews, finely chopped
- ½ cup marinated artichokes, quartered
- 2-4 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare kale by removing rib and tearing leaves into bite-sized pieces. To soften leaves, blanch in boiling water for 20 seconds. Immediately drain and rinse under cold water or place leaves in an ice bath until leaves are cold. Drain and pat dry.
- Combine remaining ingredients together, tossing gently to mix.
- Season to taste then serve each salad on a bed of kale.
Tools used in this recipe:
All the products that we have recommended have been tried and tested in our Gluten Free Club Test Kitchen, and have been chosen as our top picks based on their:
- Quality of the task they are designed to do
- Quality of manufacturing/Longevity
- Best value for your money
If you decide to purchase any of the items we recommend, Amazon will send a small percentage of the purchase price to the Gluten Free Club (at no extra cost to you!). We appreciate and value your support, thank you!
To see all our favorite kitchen items we use and recommend in; Bakeware, Cookware, Small Appliances, Kitchen Tools & Gadgets, Knives, and Recommended Cookbooks, visit our shopping page at our Amazon.com eStore - Gluten Free Club