Warm Lentil & Shrimp Salad with Tarragon Vinaigrette
A perfect summer salad that is light, yet hearty enough to serve for dinner.
How To Cook Dried Lentils:
Unlike other dried beans, lentils do not need to be pre-soaked before cooking. For each cup of dried lentils, place into 3 cups of boiling water. Once the water returns to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until soft.
If you are using them in a salad you may want to cook them a bit less, so they are more firm, compared to using them mashed up in a burger or something – where you would cook them until very soft (10-15 minutes longer).
In a hot skillet combine shrimp, oil, garlic and zest. Fry until shrimp are pink and fully cooked, about 3 minutes. Add in cooked asparagus and cooked (or canned) lentils, heating until lentils are warmed throughout. Remove from heat and gently stir in tomatoes and spinach. Divide into four portions and drizzle over vinaigrette.
Canned or Dried Lentils?
There is little difference in the nutritional value of canned lentils and dried ones you prepare at home. Both require cooking, although canned ones will contain more sodium so be sure to rinse them well before using.
Warm Lentil & Shrimp Salad
- 16 jumbo shrimp or prawns peeled & deveined
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 cups canned or cooked green or brown lentils
- 16 cherry tomatoes halved
- 4-6 cups baby spinach loosely packed
- 1/4 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp GF Dijon mustard
- 1/2 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon chopped (or 1 1/2 tsp dry)
- In a hot skillet combine shrimp, oil, garlic and zest. Fry until shrimp are pink and fully cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Broil or boil asparagus until it is tender crisp. Chop into thirds and add to skillet along with lentils, heating until lentils are warmed throughout.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in tomatoes and spinach.
- Divide into four portions and drizzle over vinaigrette.