Thinly sliced potatoes layered with crispy bacon and cheddar cheese. Great for brunch, or serve with a salad for a filling dinner.
Potato and Bacon Strata
- 4 large potatoes thinly sliced
- 2 large onions thinly sliced
- 6 slices GF bacon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk or milk alternative
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- Slice potatoes using a mandolin (1/8-1/4" thick), and soak in water for 15-30 minutes to remove a lot of the starch (drain and refill with water once). After soaking (takes the 'gumminess' out of them), drain well.
- Slice bacon into 1/4" pieces and cook until crisp. Slice onions using a mandolin (1/8-1/4" thick) and fry with 2 Tbsp oil until caramelized (turns golden).
- Grease a 10 inch pie plate or casserole dish. Spread a layer of potatoes, then onions, bacon and some leaves of the parsley, then season with salt and pepper. Repeat layers 2 more times or until all ingredients are used up (make sure the last layer is a potato).
- Whisk together the egg and milk and pour mixture over potatoes. Cover and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes (remove cover for last 10 minutes of baking). Remove, add grated cheese and broil until cheese is melted.