Instead of regular stuffed potatoes, try something a little different.
The spice from the sausage balances out the sweetness of the sweet potatoes, creating a perfectly balanced and delicious side dish.
Scoop out the flesh of each sweet potato, leaving at least a 1/4″ so its structure is maintained. For a lower calorie version, slice them in half – giving you 8 servings instead of 4.
|Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Sausage & Leeks|| |
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb hot Italian GF sausage
- 1 lb leeks, quartered, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp fresh sage
- ¼ tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup GF sour cream
- ¼ cup Swiss, Havarti or Gruyere, grated
- Caraway seeds, for garnish
- Poke the sweet potatoes a few times all around and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375°F for 30-50 minutes, or until completely tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Remove casings from sausage. Place sausage meat in a fry pan and sauté until fully cooked. Set aside.
- Add butter to skillet and over medium heat sauté the leeks with the sage, thyme and about ½ tsp salt. Stir frequently until tender and golden. Set aside.
- Cut the top ¼ off each sweet potato, then carefully scoop out the flesh and place into a large bowl. Mash the scooped out flesh until smooth, then gently stir in the sour cream, sausage and leeks.
- Spoon the filling into the potato shells, top with cheese, and place in a baking dish. Broil for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.