Taking the time to slow-roast the tomatoes concentrates their flavor, making this the best BLT ever! Instead of gluten free bacon, try pancetta, a thinly sliced Italian bacon. For me, the best part is adding a bit of fresh dill – it makes all the difference!
Open-Faced BLT with Roasted Tomatoes
- 4 plum or roma tomatoes thickly sliced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup GF mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp GF horseradish sauce* optional
- 8 slices GF pancetta thinly sliced
- 4 slices GF bread
- 1 cup romaine lettuce thinly sliced (or try Savoy cabbage)
- 1/4 small red onion thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp fresh dill
- Place tomatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet. Mix together 2 Tbsp oil and garlic, then brush on tops of each tomato slice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake at 250°F for 1 hour (or until most of the moisture has been evaporated).
- Mix together mayo and horseradish, set aside.
- In a large skillet (or griddle), fry pancetta until crisp. Brush bread slices with olive oil, then grill in pan until toasted on both sides.
- To assemble, spread each grilled bread with mayo mixture, add 2 pancetta slices, 2-3 baked tomato slices, lettuce and onion slices, and finally a few sprigs of fresh dill.
For a quicker version of roasted tomatoes, fry them like shown in the photo until most of the moisture is evaporated.