Roasting will caramelize the squash, enhance its flavor, and will hold their shape better.
Mixed Green Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- 4 ounces pecans whole
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine melted
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp GF honey mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup GF balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb mixed salad greens including fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup butternut squash roasted
- 1/4 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded, and cut into 1-2 inch thin slices
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Place pecans in a bowl, pour melted butter over them, sprinkle with sugar, and gently toss until the pecans are all well coated with a dusting of sugar. Place them in a single layer on a parchment paper or Silpat lined cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool to touch.
- Whisk together the honey mustard, garlic, red pepper flakes, and balsamic vinegar in a medium sized bowl. Slowly drizzle the oil into the mixture, whisking constantly until completely incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place salad greens and baby spinach in a large bowl. Add the butternut squash, tomatoes, red bell pepper, and pecans. Toss to coat with 1/4 cup of the dressing.
- Serve immediately
[hr]FAQ: Is Balsamic Vinegar Safe?