Crispy meringue hearts are layered with a creamy strawberry filling, infused with orange flavored liqueur.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup strawberries thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp Cointreau or Grand Marnier
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp icing sugar divided
- Pomegranate seeds
- GF white chocolate curls
- To make meringue hearts, whip eggs until foamy then add cream of tartar. Continue beating as you gradually add the sugar. Once stiff peaks form add vanilla.
- Onto a parchment lined baking sheet, using a piping bag, or a spoon, spread the meringue into the shape of a heart (as small or as large as you want your portion sizes to be). Make a slight depression on the top for the filling to sit in, then bake at 200°F for 30-45 minutes (depends on how thick they are). Once the outside is crisp to the touch, turn the oven off, open the oven door slightly, and allow the meringues to cool in the oven for another hour.
- Combine the strawberries, liqueur,and 1 Tbsp sugar in a dish and set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow the juices to be released. Meanwhile, whip the cream and the remaining sugar together until firm.
- To assemble, onto each plate place a meringue, top with some whipped cream, some strawberries, a bit more whipped cream, then another meringue.
- If you assemble these 30 minutes (to an hour max.) prior to serving, the whipped cream will soften the crispy meringues slightly so they will easily be able to be eaten with a fork.
[hr]FAQ: Is Grande Marnier or Cointreau gluten free?[hr]