We cut the calories in this version by omitting the butter and flour mixture. This ‘roux’ is what typically thickens the sauce, but instead we are replacing that with a creamy vegetable purée.
Use your favorite type of gluten free pasta to mix with this creamy sauce!
|Lightened Mac 'N Cheese|| |
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, chopped
- 1 cup low fat milk, or milk alternative
- 1 cup low fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp chipotle pepper spice, cayenne, paprika, or black pepper
- In a covered saucepan, bring to a boil the cauliflower and milk. Reduce heat and simmer until tender.
- Pour into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour back into saucepan and add cheese’s and seasonings to taste. Heat and stir until smooth and creamy.
- Cook your favorite GF pasta, then toss together with the sauce to serve.