Makes a delicious strawberry shortcake.
Lemon & Pear Pound Cake
- 2 16 oz canned pear halves in juice or light syrup, drained & puréed
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 1/2 cups GF flour mix
- 1 cup soy flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 tsp baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups sugar divided
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk alternative + 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 tsp almond
- 6 eggs divided, separated
- In a sauce pan place puréed pears and cook over medium heat, stirring almost constantly, until liquid is reduced to about one cup. Allow to cool completely. Set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat, cooking until the butter turns a light, nutty brown, about 60 seconds. Remove from heat, add oil and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix flours, salt, and leveners together.
- In another bowl, combine pear puree, butter mixture, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, buttermilk, extracts, zest, and 2 egg yolks. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In another bowl, 4 egg whites until soft peaks form, then start gradually adding 1/4 cup of sugar until firm peaks form.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the pear purée mixture alternately with the beaten whites, until all is combined. Pour into a greased/floured bundt pan and bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes or until done.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.
Dust with icing sugar, brush with melted lemon marmalade brushed, or a thin glaze of lemon icing.