This creamy savory curry sauce is filled with unique flavors like Asian eggplant, pineapple and pistachio nuts. Then to make this dish look as mind-blowing as it tastes, it’s all served in a fresh coconut shell.
For a low carb option, replace the rice with Shirataki ‘rice’. Similar to the noodles made from soy and yam, these are shaped like rice grains and are a great texture substitution when you can’t eat rice.
|Coconut Curry Shrimp Bowl|| |
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 cup mixed bell peppers (red, green, orange), diced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp curry, or more to taste
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 ½ tsp sugar, to taste (optional)
- ½ tsp lime zest
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 small Asian eggplants, diced
- ½ lb large shrimp, peeled
- ½ cup pineapple, diced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat then add the onion, peppers, ginger, garlic and curry. Sauté until peppers are tender.
- Add in the coconut milk and reduce heat to medium, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients (except the pineapple, herbs and nuts), cooking until eggplant and shrimp are done and mixture has thickened, about 3-4 minutes. If you used a light coconut milk, you may need to stir in a mixture of 1 Tbsp cornstarch + 1 Tbsp cold water, to help it thicken.
- To serve, divide into 4, and top with pineapple, herbs and pistachios (serve over a bed of rice if desired).