Sweet crunchy topping, with a hint of chocolate over top a soft moist muffin or cake.
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts toasted & chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/3 cup GF chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1/4 cup GF mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cup GF Flour Blend* I prefer Bob's Red Mill Biscuit & Baking Mix blend
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Toast nuts on a baking sheet in oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes. Set aside to cool, then coarsely chop.
- Mix together brown sugar and hazelnut spread, then stir in nuts and chocolate. Use your fingers to break up into a coarse crumble if needed.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until creamy. Beat in coconut oil and vanilla until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients into dry, and whisk until just combined.
- For muffins, pour into lined muffin tins, half-full. Sprinkle with the topping mixture to the top of the muffin well. Or you can create a layered effect: put a couple tablespoons of batter into each well, sprinkle over some topping, add more batter so its just over half full, then finish with another layer of topping.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. If using large wrappers (like in picture), this recipe will make 6 muffins. If using smaller wrappers it will make 12.
- To make a cake, pour into a greased 8" pan, sprinkle evenly with topping, and bake for 30 minutes, or until done.