Traditional Christmas Fruit Cake
Christmas Fruit Cake
- 8 oz glace cherries chopped, drained
- 2 oz candied orange peel finely chopped
- 7 oz stoned dates finely chopped
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 Tbsp rum
- 1 Tbsp Amaretto
- 1 Tbsp Cointreau
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs beaten well
- 1 1/2 tsp Parisian essence
- 1/2 cup almonds chopped
- 1 cup GF flour mix
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1 Tbsp mixed spice blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger and allspice
- Combine cherries, candied peel, dates, zest and raisins in a bowl. Cover with liqueur and let soak for 30 minutes. Drain the liquid (reserve) and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then add eggs in one at a time. Stir in the Parisian essence, the fruit mixture, and the almonds. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, and spices. Then mix in with the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Pour batter in a greased/lined 8” pan and bake 300°F for 1 and 3/4 to 2 hours, or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (if the top of the cake begins to brown too quickly, loosely cover it with aluminum foil).
- Remove the cake from the oven and pour on the reserved liqueur while the cake is still very hot.
- Cool for 30 minutes, then turn out on a wire rack to cool completely. Frost with almond flavored icing if desired.
[hr]FAQ: What Alcohol is Gluten Free?