Rich and chocolately, with a hint of orange. By baking the cake in a rimmed sheet pan, you can use a large circle cookie cutter to press the cake out, and make individual cakes for your guests.
Chocolate Orange Cake
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs separated
- 3/4 cup GF semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Biscuit & Baking Mix or GF flour blend
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk or milk alternative
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Zest of whole orange
- Cream together the butter (less 1 Tbsp) and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Set aside.
- Melt together the 1 Tbsp butter and the chocolate chips, stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine dry ingredients. In a large measuring cup combine milk, vanilla and orange. Alternate adding dry and wet mixtures into the butter mixture until all are combined. Stir in melted chocolate until smooth, then gently fold in egg whites.
- Pour into 2 round greased cake pans and bake at 375°F for 30-40 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.