Eggplant and cinnamon bring the flavors of Greece to this meatloaf. Loaded with lots of veggies, you will definitely get your recommended daily allowance!
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup carrot shredded
- 1/2 cup potato shredded
- 1 small eggplant 1 pound, trimmed, pared, and shredded
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice divided
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 to matoes peeled and finely diced (or use large can of 'petite' diced tomatoes,drained)
- 1 1/2 cup fine dry bread GF bread crumbs
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Sauté onion in oil or butter in a large skillet for 3 minutes until soft and somewhat golden. Remove from heat. Stir in carrot, potato, eggplant, & garlic, tossing to coat well. Cover, put back on heat and cook about 5 minutes, or until wilted but still crisp.
- Combine meat, eggs, tomatoes, crumbs, salt, cinnamon, pepper, cayenne, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and cooked vegetables in a large bowl, mixing lightly by hand. Press firmly into a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan. turn out onto a lightly greased large shallow baking pan. (Loaf may also be shaped by hand directly on the baking pan.)
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Mix remaining 2 Tbsp lemon juice and sugar in a cup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. After the 45 minutes of baking, brush this mixture over the loaf.
- Continue to bake 15 minutes longer, or until brown and glazed.