A lean and healthy choice for meat loaf.
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs finely chopped
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 3/4 cup GF bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp ketchup or puréed roasted peppers
- 1 Tbsp GF steak sauce or GF Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp salt divided
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 lbs ground buffalo
- 1/2 cup water for de-glazing pan
- Cook onion, celery and carrots in a few teaspoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat until softened.
- Transfer vegetables to a large bowl and stir in breadcrumbs, parsley, egg, ketchup, steak sauce, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Stir in buffalo (do not over mix) and form mixture into a 10 inch x 4 inch oval loaf and place in a shallow metal baking pan.
- Bake at 375°F for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted 2 inches into the center registers 160°F.
- While meatloaf is resting, make sauce by de-glazing the baking pan with water over moderate heat, scraping up brown bits. Once liquid has reduced and slightly thickened, drizzle over meatloaf and serve.