Vegan’s rejoice! Ice cream is back on the menu again with our dairy and egg-free, version made with sweet roasted strawberries.
Roasting the strawberries removes much of the moisture content, concentrating its natural sugars, resulting in a sweet strawberry flavor and aroma.
Dairy-Free Strawberry Ice Cream
- 2 400ml cans full fat coconut milk, drain away liquid (keeping only thick coconut milk)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries rinsed, hulled and patted dry
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- Roast strawberries: Line a baking pan with parchment paper (making sure it extends up the sides – you don’t want any strawberry juice to leak out and burn onto the pan). Add strawberries to pan on a even layer, and bake on the center rack at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and gently press down on each with a wooden spoon to release the juices. Continue baking for another 10 minutes. Pour strawberries and its juices into a clean bowl, and allow to cool completely.
- Combine all ingredients into a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a loaf pan lined with plastic wrap. Smooth top, then press plastic wrap onto surface of ice cream. Chill until frozen, about 4 hours.