Light, crispy, melt in your mouth meringue, topped with a cloud of whip cream and fresh juicy berries. These are a great dessert to make for guests – everything can be prepared in advance, then tossed together just before serving.
Here is an example of a how a simple dessert, with simple ingredients can be put together to create a beautiful and show-stopping dessert!
Mini Berry Pavlova
- 3 egg whites
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ - 1 cup sugar to taste
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¾ cups whipping cream optional
- 1-2 cups assorted berries
- Using a mixer, beat eggs until frothy then add cream of tartar. Continue whipping until stiff peaks form, while gradually adding sugar. Add enough sugar until you get the taste you want. Then beat in vanilla.
- On a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet, spoon about ½ - 1/3 cup of meringue and spread into a disc about 5 inches across. Using the back of the spoon, depress the center to create a hollow, and so the sides have a bit of a ridge (to hold filling).
- Bake at 200°F for 1 hour on middle rack. Turn oven off and let cool in oven (with door slightly ajar). If they start to brown, take out of oven. Cool completely.
- Whip cream until firm, then spoon a bit into each meringue cup, top with fresh berries (assemble these just before serving, or the whip cream will start to soften the meringue).
- If desired, drizzle with melted chocolate or top with chocolate curls.
For dairy free version, omit whipping cream and drizzle berries and pavlova with some melted chocolate.