These crab cakes rival any I’ve had in a restaurant! Finely chopping the red pepper and celery are the key to the perfect texture and flavor of these crab cakes. Serve on top of a fresh salad or as an appetizer.
Crab Cakes with Red Pepper
- 1 6 oz. can of chunk crabmeat drained
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 cup fine dry GF bread crumbs divided
- 2 Tbsp celery finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp red or green onion green part only, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp GF mayonnaise
- 3/4 tsp dry mustard
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Sauté red peppers and celery in 1 Tbsp of oil until soft, then set aside to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, peppers, celery, onion, mayonnaise, dry mustard, salt and hot pepper sauce. Gently stir in crab meat just until combined.
- With wet hands, gently shape mixture into four 1/2 inch thick patties (or you can make them smaller if serving as an appetizer). Mixture will be a moist and crumbly.
- Place remaining bread crumbs in a shallow bowl and gently coat both sides of each crab cake.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add crab cakes, cover and cook about 5 minutes, then remove lid and flip to cook another 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges, and a GF cucumber dill dressing.
Try these warm crab cakes over a fresh salad with creamy herb dressing