Brown sugar caramelizes with the pineapple rings to create a sweet topping.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4-5 pineapple rings
- 4 eggs separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Add melted butter to sugar and stir until dissolved. Pour into a greased/lined round baking pan. Arrange pineapple rings in pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix together sugar, lemon juice, zest and egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs whites until stiff. Then fold into the lemon mixture.
- Add the starch and baking powder, and mix until just combined.
- Pour into pan over pineapple, and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately flip over onto a plate. Let cool.