Five layers of meringue with a decadent whipped chocolate filling.
Chocolate Hazelnut Meringue Cake
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts ground
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp cocoa
- 1 Tbsp cocoa
- 4 oz GF semi-sweet chocolate
- Prep pans: Line three baking sheets with parchment paper. With a pencil, draw 5 circles 9 inches in diameter on the parchment paper (trace around a cake pan or large saucepan).
- For cakes: In a large clean bowl, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Mix together the icing sugar, cinnamon and corn starch, along with the ground hazelnuts, then carefully fold them into the egg white mixture.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 5 circles, and spread the meringue out to the edge of the drawn circle. Bake at 250°F for 3 to 4 hours until the meringue is completely dried out. Cool on wire racks.
- For filling: whip the cream and sugar until stiff. Spread whipped cream over all of the (cooled) meringue layers, then stack the layers on top of one another.
- Use the remaining whipped cream to spread around the outside edge of the cake.
- To decorate: lightly dust cake with cocoa, then cover with chocolate curls (use a vegetable peeler to create curls along the chocolate squares).