Tender little pillows of sweet goodness, all in one bite. Coat them in powdered sugar, dip them in chocolate glaze, or drizzle with a clear glaze – either way, these are yummy!
It is important for the ingredients all to be at room temperature – especially the milk and egg. The butter will warm sufficiently when it’s been creamed with the sugar. But if you add cold liquids into the warm batter, it will cause the butter to congeal – which will cause the batter to have little pellets of hardened butter (and will affect the finished product). To quickly warm an egg, place in a dish of hot tap water for 5 minutes.
Using a mini doughnut pan is a must for cake style doughnuts with loose batters. They are quite inexpensive (I found mine at a thrift store for $4!), and are invaluable for making the perfect looking gluten free doughnuts. No matter how steady you think you are, don’t skip the step of putting the batter into a pastry bag (or Ziploc). I did, thinking I could gently pour the batter in the wells using a small spoon…it just made a mess, and I ended up putting the whole thing into a Ziploc anyway.
Once all the wells are filled about 1/2 – 2/3 full, gently tap the tray once or twice to make sure any air pockets that formed when you were piping the batter in are removed. How much to fill the wells is a bit of a trial and error for your first batch. You want them to rise just enough, so when they are done they look like little puffy pillows.
To make chocolate cake doughnuts, just add 2 Tbsp of cocoa to the batter. Once they are baked, allow them to cool for a few minutes in the trays, then gently twist out and place on a wire rack. If you want to coat them in powdered icing (or granulated) sugar, put some sugar in a bag and shake with a few of the warm doughnuts. For those you want to glaze or frost, allow them to cool completely first.
Mini Cake Doughnuts
- ¼ cup butter or margarine room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 2⅔ cups
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk or milk alternative
- Cinnamon Sugar - 1½ Tbsp cinnamon ½ cup sugar
- Powdered Sugar – ½ cup icing sugar
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, oil and sugars. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla.
- In another bowl combine the remaining dry ingredients. Alternate adding a third of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, followed by a third of the milk. Continue mixing on low until all is incorporated.
- Spoon mixture into a large Ziploc bag and seal. Snip corner off and gently squeeze (half full) into the wells of a well greased mini doughnut pan. Bake at 425°F for 7-10 minutes until lightly golden brown (taste one to be sure inside is done).
- Let cool in pan for 3 minutes, then carefully turn out onto wire rack.
- While warm gently shake a few doughnuts at a time in a plastic bag filled with the sugared toppings of your choice. For chocolate glazed topping, allow doughnuts to cool completely before dipping.
Makes 48 mini doughnuts