A sweet chocolate icing that dries to a smooth glossy finish – perfect for dipping doughnuts, pouring over brownies, cheesecakes, or whatever else you can think of!
Make sure the icing sugar is well sifted before you add it to the mixture. Because the glaze starts to set up once you add the sugar, you want to be able to quickly mix it in and have a perfectly smooth texture. The more whipping you have to do to get all the lumps out, the faster it will start to set up. Although you can always return the pot to the stove and allow the mixture to warm and loosen.
Keeping the pot in a bowl of hot water will keep the glaze from setting up too quickly while you’re working – especially if you have a ton of doughnuts to dip! Although a quick sit on the stove every few minutes to warm it up, will keep the glaze thin and workable. Once all are glazed, add any sprinkles you like, then allow them to sit on the counter for 1-2 hours until the glaze completely sets up to a smooth glossy (dry) finish.
|Chocolate Doughnut Glaze|| |
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup whole milk or milk alternative
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 oz bittersweet or dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- In a saucepan combine butter, milk, corn syrup, and vanilla over medium heat stirring until butter is melted. Reduce heat to low, add the chocolate, and stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat and quickly whisk in icing sugar until smooth. If too thick, add a bit more milk until mixture is thin enough to dip (rewarm mixture over stove if necessary).
- Invert a doughnut into the dip, pressing until it's halfway covered, lift up taking care not to drip down the side. Place on a wire rack for 1-2 hours to allow the glaze to set and harden. While dipping, if glaze is setting up too fast in saucepan, return to heat for a few minutes to soften, or place saucepan over a bowl of hot water.
Plain Doughnut Glaze
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp hot water
1/4 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp lemon juice
Combine all ingredients into a bowl and whisk until smooth. Place doughnuts on a wire rack, with a baking sheet underneath, and drizzle glaze over each with a spoon until fully covered.