Almond macaroon cookies sandwiched with chocolate, then smothered in chocolate.
|Chocolate Covered Macaroons|| |
- 1 ounce almond paste
- 3 egg whites
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 9 oz GF semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp rum
- 6 oz GF sweet chocolate, melted
- For Macaroons: In large bowl combine almond paste, egg whites, sugar, almond extract and salt. Beat with mixer until well blended. Spoon into a pastry bag (use #8 star tip).
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, press batter into 1¼ inch rounds, and bake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes, until pale golden. Cool completely.
- For Filling: allow melted chocolate to cool slightly then beat together with butter. Then add egg yolks and rum and beat until smooth.
- Let stand until slightly thickened, (about ½ hour), stirring occasionally. Then spread about 1 teaspoon of filling on bottom of macaroon then sandwich it with another one. Repeat until all are done and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- For Glaze: Dip tops in melted chocolate, the whole cookie, or just drizzle it over them all (whatever you like ). Place on waxed paper and refrigerate until set.