Marsala is a fortified sweet Italian wine.
Chicken with Mushroom Marsela Sauce
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup shallots chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms cremini or shitake, thickly sliced
- 1 tsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 Tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 cup Marsela wine
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts, pieces pounded to an even 1/4 inch to 1/3 inch thickness
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sauté butter and shallots over medium heat for one minute. Then add in mushrooms, mustard and parsley. Continue cooking for 5-10 more minutes, until the mushrooms have browned.
- Add Marsela and de-glaze the pan, scraping up any bits that may be sticking to the bottom of the pan, then stir in the cream. Bring to a boil and cook the sauce down until it is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon (about 10 minutes).
- While the sauce is reducing, heat olive oil in another large sauté pan and cook chicken for about 3 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir sage into sauce, season to taste with salt and pepper, then pour over chicken to serve.
[hr]FAQ: Is Marsela Wine Gluten-Free?