How to prepare the perfect roast chicken.
How To Roast Chicken
- 1-4 lb whole chicken
- The prepared chicken should be washed well in cold water both inside and out and allowed to drain.
- Any neck or giblets inside should be removed.
- Frozen chicken must be completely thawed before cooking starts.
- Place the meat in a roasting tin on the middle shelf of a hot oven, 425°F. After 20 minutes turn the heat down to moderately hot, 375°F.
- If the meat does not have its own layer of fat on top then baste the joint with hot dripping at intervals or place an extra strip of fat, e.g. bacon, over the chicken while it is cooking.
- For chicken and duck allow a total cooking time of 15 minutes per lb / 450g and 15 minutes extra.
- To check to see if the bird is cooked pull at the junction between the thigh joint and the body.
- If the juices here are clear and the meat at the joint starts to separate from the bone then the bird is cooked.
- If the juices here are still pink then cook for longer.
- The juices that run out of the body cavity should also be clear, not pink.
- Chicken is best cooked without being stuffed.
- Cook gluten free stuffing on a separate tray.