Shaved (raw) asparagus and zucchini take the place of lettuce in this flavorful Mediterranean inspired salad, loaded with fresh basil, pine nuts and colorful cherry tomatoes.
Use a vegetable peeler to shave thin strips from the asparagus and zucchini.
Prepare the dressing, then pour into a bowl along with the shaved asparagus and zucchini, tossing gently to mix. Let sit for about 15 minutes, this will allow the dressing to soak up into the shaved veggies, making them even more flavorful. Add the remaining ingredients, tossing gently to combine, and serve.
|Fresh Asparagus & Tomato-Basil Salad|| |
- ½ lb fresh asparagus
- 1 yellow zucchini
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp finely grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel long thin strips of the asparagus and zucchini.
- For dressing, add the lemon juice into a medium sized bowl and slowly drizzle in the oil while whisking continuously until emulsified. Stir in remaining ingredients. Add shaved veggies, tossing gently to coat. Let sit for 15 minutes, to allow the veggies to soak up some of the dressing (this will make them even more flavorful).
- In a large bowl combine all salad ingredients and gently toss with dressing.
- Add remaining salad ingredients, tossing gently to combine.