This savory spread has so many tasty uses…
- As an appy – spread on crackers along with a bit of soft cream cheese or goat cheese
- Mix with a bit of mayonnaise and use as sandwich spread
- Spread inside a grilled cheese sandwich
- Purée and use in place of ketchup
- Drizzled over a tuna melt
- As a topping for grilled chicken or pork
To remove the skins, lightly score the bottoms of each with a cross, then blanch in boiling water for about 20 seconds or until the skins are easily pulled off.
Once cool enough to handle, remove the cores and hand-crush each. Place in pot with remaining ingredients.
Simmer for about an hour until thick and jammy in consistency. Store in fridge and use within a month, or process them in canning jars for longer storage.
- 1 kg about 8 tomatoes, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 red or yellow onions finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red chili dried or fresh, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- To peel tomatoes, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut a shallow X into the bottom of each tomato, then place in the boil water for 20-60 seconds, or until the skin starts to peel up at the cut. Remove one and pull the peel up from the cut, if it comes of easily they are ready. Place in cold water until able to handle them.
- Once peeled, remove core and chop or crush with hands – depending on consistency of chutney you want.
- Combine all ingredients into a saucepan and simmer for 1 hour, until mixture is dark and jammy in consistency.