Sweet corn make these crispy fritters delicious!
|Zucchini-Corn Cakes|| |
Author: Marla Hingley
Crispy and flavorful!
- 2 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups corn
- ½ cup GF cornmeal, fine grind
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¾ cup buttermilk, or milk alternative
- 1 egg
- Sprinkle grated zucchini with ½ tsp salt and let sit for 10 minutes. Then spread out onto a kitchen towel and gently press the zucchini to get as much excess moisture out as you can.
- Heat butter in skillet and sauté onion and garlic for a few minutes. Then add corn and continue cooking until onions are soft. Se aside to cool a bit.
- In a small bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, cornstarch, baking powder and seasonings. In a large bowl combine the milk and egg, then add in the onion mixture. Mix well, then stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
- To fry fritters; heat some oil in a skillet and spoon a heaping tablespoon of mixture into hot skillet (flatten out). When bottom turns golden brown, flip.
- Serve with GF sour cream if you like.
To Make Buttermilk: put 1 tsp vinegar into measuring cup and add whole milk (or milk alternative) to bring to ¾ cup - let stand 5 minutes.