Let me start off by saying that this picture does not do this dish justice. Sometimes lighting, equipment, and kids (who ‘accidentally’ knock the chicken on the floor) conspire against me and the photo ends up looking no where near as fantastic as it tastes.
Using two different kinds of gluten free crunchy coatings, each so different yet equally as tasty. But for me, the sauce was the BEST part! My kids even request this as the dip for their chicken strips.
Gluten free pretzels and naturally gluten free veggie chips were used to create the different coatings. Grind them up in a food processor until finely ground, or crush them with a mallet.
Get all the coating ingredients in separate dishes, then begin by dipping the chicken in flour, egg, then the crushed coating of your choice.
Combine all sauce ingredients together and whisk until creamy and smooth. If you want a thinner sauce, add a teaspoon of water at a time until you get the consistency you desire.
|Pretzel-Crusted Chicken with Mustard-Dill Sauce|| |
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp GF Dijon mustard
- 3 cups GF pretzels or Veggie Chips (like Terra Sweets & Beets)
- 4 chicken breasts, butterflied (to speed cooking)
- ½ cup GF mayonnaise
- ¼ cup GF Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill (or ½ tsp dry)
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a shallow dish place flour. In another dish whisk together the eggs and mustard. Finely chop the pretzels or chips in a food processor and place in a third bowl.
- Sprinkle cut chicken breasts with salt and pepper then coat each first in flour, then the egg mixture, and finally the pretzels (or chips) – pressing to fully adhere. Place on a lined baking pan and bake at 400°F for 30 minutes or until fully cooked. You can also fry them in some oil on the stove for a quicker cooking time.
- For the sauce, combine all ingredients and mix well. Loosen with a bit of water if necessary until you get the consistency you desire. Season to taste with salt and pepper.