Caramelizing the onions first is what brings these potato skins to a whole to level.
Potato Skins with Caramelized Onions
- 6 small-medium sized Russet potatoes
- 1 onion finely sliced or diced
- 1-2 Tbsp oil butter or margarine
- Cheddar or any other type Cheese
- GF Bacon or try GF pancetta, cooked & finely diced
- Fresh Chives
- GF Sour Cream or try plain Greek Yogurt
- Bake potatoes at 400°F for 40 minutes, or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, over medium heat, sauté onion with oil until golden and caramelized - this can take up to 20 minutes to get that rich brown color, depending on how caramelized you want them to be (add more oil as needed).
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise, and scoop out some of the potato. Sprinkle with onions and any other toppings you’d like.
- Broil for 5 minutes until heated throughout.