Quiches usually have a pastry type pie crust on the bottom, but what about trying something a little different (and tastier!).
Thinly sliced potatoes make the perfect crust and go wonderfully with eggs. This recipe is great on its own (with shallots, chives and cheese), or you can add whatever else you want, like…bacon, roasted red pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, or even try a bit of pesto!
- 2 potatoes peeled
- 3 Tbsp oil divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 3 eggs + 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 3/4 cup fresh chives chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese grated (divided)
- Using a mandolin, slice potatoes 1/4" thick. Coat with 2 Tbsp oil and salt and pepper, then spread out in a single layer on 2 greased cookie sheets. Bake at 450°F for 10-15 minutes, so they are tender but not browned.
- Then arrange in an overlapping pattern in a greased deep dish pie plate (make sure the potatoes along the top edge stick up a bit so the egg mixture will stay contained).
- Sauté shallot with remaining oil until soft, set aside to cool.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients, using 1 cup of the cheese, then pour into pie plate. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes.