Soft minty cool insides, surrounded by a rich dark chocolate shell. Pop one of these cool minty peppermint patties into your mouth and you’ll get a treat and fresh breath all in one sweet bite.
You may think its easier to just buy some at the store, but the taste just can’t compare to the freshness of making these from scratch. The outer dark chocolate shell snaps as you bite into the snow-white-icy- melt-in-your-mouth, filling. Mmmmmmm!
- 2 cups icing sugar + more for kneading
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter or margarine softened
- 2 Tbsp regular or evaporated milk or milk alternative
- 1/4 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp GF vanilla extract
- 1-3 drops of peppermint extract to taste
- 1 cup GF semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- Using a mixer, combine all ingredients, except the chocolate, and beat until smooth. Test consistency with your fingers - press together, shouldn't be too sticky. If it is, take out the 'dough' and knead on the counter top with more icing sugar until soft and smooth (like fondant).
- Shape into a flattened ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough between two layers of plastic wrap to 1/8-1/4" thick (or could roll into small balls and flatten with your hands), and cut using a small cookie cutter. Place cut outs on a lined baking tray and place in freezer for 1 hour.
- Melt and temper (optional) chocolate, then dip/spread each pattie until fully covered in chocolate. Let excess drip off, then place back on baking sheet. Refrigerate until set (and store in fridge until ready to serve).