This classic Italian pasta dish is a combination of walnuts, sausage and cream. It may seem like an odd flavor combination, but together they create a wonderfully savory and aromatic experience (not to mention a fantastic texture!).
To lighten things up you can replace some of the cream with cashew cream. As well, a handful of fresh herbs will add a light freshness that will balance out the heaviness of the sauce.
Cooking the nuts with the sausage infuses them with a rich flavor, and softens them. Make sure the nuts are chopped similar in size to what the crumbled sausage would be – this is the key to achieving the perfect texture in this dish.
Boil the noodles until done to your likeness.
Once the sausage is fully cooked, add in the liquids and allow them to reduce to a thick sauce.
- 1 lb GF Italian sweet sausage casings removed
- 1 cup walnut halves chopped
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ lb GF pancetta or bacon finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp rosemary chopped
- ¼ cup brandy or white wine
- 1 cup light cream*
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage chopped
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley chopped
- Boil pasta until done to your likeness.
- In a large skillet add sausage and walnuts, breaking up sausages as it cooks. Once browned, add onion, garlic, and pancetta, cooking until tender.
- Stir in brandy, once it reduces after about 30 seconds, stir in the cream and lower heat and let simmer and reduce slightly.
- If sauce thickens too much, stir in a bit of the pasta water. Add remaining fresh herbs and toss with pasta.
What pasta ingredient to add ? I do not see any recommended past & amount used?
The sauce serves 4-5, so add whatever type of gluten free pasta you like. Amounts/weight vary depending on the type of pasta you choose, so that’s why I left it out – you know better than I do how much noodles your family will eat. Have a great day!