Preparing the red bell peppers two different ways, adds to the robust flavor profile for this easy to make pasta sauce.
Saute some of the peppers, along with the onions until tender.
Puree the remaining (uncooked) peppers along with the cheese and tomatoes, then add in the cooked peppers and puree until smooth.
|Creamy Red Pepper Sauce|| |
- 3 red bell peppers, sliced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, cored and seeded, chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh basil
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup ricotta cheese*
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese*, grated
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- In a skillet add half of the oil, ⅔ of the red peppers, and the onion, sautéing until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and tomato and sauté for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Into a food processor add the rest of the ingredients along with the remaining ⅓ of red peppers, and the cooled pepper mixture. Pulse until combined.
- With machine running, add in the remaining 2 Tbsp of oil. Continue to puree for another 30 seconds until sauce is smooth. Season to taste with salt.