This rich, crispy flatbread is amazing! If you can have dairy, you’ll be loving this new crust that can be used in so many ways (like pizza crust!).
Use a microwavable-safe bowl to heat the mozzarella and cream cheese. Depending on how hot/efficient your microwave is, it will take 30 seconds to 1 minute for the cheeses to melt and be able to be stirred smoothly together.
Add the cheese into the almond flour mixture, stirring a few times, then mix in the egg (stirring the cheese and almond flour first helps to cool it down so you don’t cook the egg when you add it). Mix until smooth then spread evenly to 1/4″ thick on a prepared baking sheet.
Par-bake the crust until just golden, then remove and spread over pesto and remaining toppings. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes to warm toppings and finish baking crust. Then top with fresh basil and serve… it’s delicious warm or at room temperature!
|Mediterranean Flatbread|| |
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1½ oz (3 Tbsp) cream cheese
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp pesto
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes
- ⅓ cup feta, crumbled
- 6 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese into a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute on high. Stir to combine cheeses together into a smooth mixture.
- In large bowl combine almond flour and remaining ingredients, then add into cheese mixture stirring until smooth (warm mixture up in microwave for about 30 seconds if dough becomes to stringy/unworkable).
- Spread dough out onto a parchment/silicone lined baking sheet using a spatula (offset is my favorite) until dough is about uniformly ¼" thick.
- Par-bake crust at 425°F for about 10 minutes (check occasionally - if crust starts to bubble up, pop with toothpick) until just turning golden brown. Remove from oven and spread over pesto, then top with remaining toppings. Bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Top with basil and serve (warm or cold!).