Not a fan of doing dishes? Use an oven-proof skillet for this hearty breakfast dish, and go from stove-to oven-to your stomach, in under 30 minutes!
This is a layered kind of cooking technique, where the hashbrowns are cooked first, then some eggs are cracked over the hashbrowns then the whole skillet is placed in the oven to finish cooking until the eggs are done to your likeness. The best part for me though, is topping it with some fresh homemade salsa.
Hashbrown & Eggs with Tomatillo Salsa
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 russet potato grated (peeled if you like)
- 1/3 cup onion finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2 eggs
- 4 to matoes
- 1 cup canned or fresh tomatillos chopped
- 1/2 small red onion diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- If making for 1 person, use a small (9") cast iron fry pan, and heat butter and oil. Sauté onions, potatoes and seasonings, until potatoes are softened and starting to crisp.
- Spread potato mixture evenly along bottom of pan, with sides rising up a bit. Sprinkle on cheese, then crack 2 eggs in. Bake in oven until eggs are done to your likeness (10-20 minutes).
- To serve, gently lift out the hashbrown nest in one piece and place on a plate. Top with some (drained) salsa.