A chocolaty graham crust, a frosty creamy filling and a soft chocolate glaze come together to create a spin on that tasty Canadian-made dessert, Nanaimo Bars.
Using French vanilla ice cream will add to the richness like the original Nanaimo Bar recipe, since it’s made with eggs – although plain vanilla ice cream will work just fine too! We’ve also included a link to our dairy free ice cream, so everyone can enjoy this amazing tasting treat.
Press the crumb mixture into the base and up the sides of a greased springform or pie plate. Once the ice cream has softened enough to stir, add the custard powder and mix until smooth – this is what is going to give the ice cream that beautiful buttery yellow color. Spread over crust in a smooth even layer.
Melt the chocolate and cream together, stirring just until smooth then remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Quickly pour the chocolate glaze over top the ice cream layer, tilting pan quickly to spread it out into an even layer. Freeze again for 15 minutes until set, or until needed.
Frozen Nanaimo Bar Pie
- ¾ cup GF graham crumbs
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- For the crust, combine all the dry ingredients together then drizzle in butter stirring until everything is fully moistened. Press into the base and up the sides of a 8 or 9” springform pan, or a pie plate. Set aside.
- Let the ice cream soften slightly, then measure into a large bowl. Stir in the custard powder, mixing until soft and smooth. Spread over crust, cover ice cream surface with plastic wrap and freeze for 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Melt chocolate and cream together, stirring until smooth. Let sit for about 5 minutes to cool, then quickly remove plastic wrap and pour over ice cream surface. Tilt pan to spread chocolate evenly, then freeze until set or ready to eat.
-For dairy free, replace the heavy cream with 2 Tbsp dairy free margarine or shortening